Tuesday, August 5, 2008

First impressions

With my talents stripped away and my abilities unbound from my fingertips, I felt clumsy and disoriented venturing into the World of Wrathcraft beta. I was also apparently even in resto gear, which for you non-hybrids feels kind of like cross-dressing and being naked at the same time. Not that resto gear has any meaning anymore. The conversion to spellpower was rather thorough; no enchantment, gem, or socket bonus was left behind.

It's actually a little disconcerting how this change made a large fraction of BC itemization completely redundant. To think that the sunmote I used to convert [Gauntlets of the Ancient Shadowmoon] to [Gauntlets of the Ancient Frostwolf] totally sacrificed itself for a minor conversion of spell crit to mp5.

Spellpower everywhere.

Um good, now I can DE one of them.

Of course, my strength gems and enchants didn't magically convert themselves to AGILITY POWER! or anything, so after the changes to our AP and crit derivations from strength and agility my melee stats didn't look too impressive.

I'm so weak qq.

It took me over an hour to muster the courage to actually put in talents. By then Galli was slaughtering all the inhabitants of the Howling Fjord he could get his unlinked Auto Shot on. I was exceptionally pleased to find sharks in the water, which Galli lost no time skinning. There were also real live penguins hanging out on glaciers while we were on the cruise to Borean Tundra. Hopefully we'll see moar aquatic creatures moar (although it's too bad manatees are warm-weather ones... sigh, there's always next expansion).

Can you find the lost reagent pouch???

I basically spent the rest of the night with Galli on follow, trying to wrap my head around the fact of XP after 70. Fourier seemed extremely overpowered for some reason. After we got our UIs to a barely usable state, mobs just exploded. This made me regret putting points into Maelstrom Weapon so early, since there was no way you could crit a mob enough times for the buff to stack before the mob keeled over.

And ah yes... spirit wolves. As far as I could see they attacked with nonnegative damage — both of them even, for those who knew about the staying and cuddling bug. It will be interesting to see what uses they will serve when they are done being implemented. For now they provide very large doses of spiritual canine comfort for 45 seconds every 2 minutes.

Feral spirits in the spiritual world of aggro every Lich Kings.

No comments: