Friday, August 8, 2008

Chill nymphs

Maelstrom Weapon has pretty low utility in its current state, as it still resets the swing timer and doesn't proc off of Windfury crits, only auto attacks. Right now it is extremely effective at pulling mobs farther than 20 yds away using a hasted Lightning Bolt once every few kills, and not much else. Seeing as I used to use rank 1 LB for that purpose, I certainly would have preferred the old implementation where one could cast hasted heals (or insta-rez in arena lawl cue qq!).

The change of generic crit rating now affecting spell crit is noticeable. It kind of makes me wish all of our on-crit talents would proc on spell crits too — Mental Quickness, Unleashed Rage, Maelstrom Weapon, and the like. Our hybridized crit mechanics are getting nice and complex, with spell crits increasing melee crit chance and melee crits reducing mana costs of spells yet opening the door to higher mana consumption. I can't wait to train Lava Burst to add to all the confusion.

These sons of liches are strong... but not strong enough.

We've finally encountered some elite mobs that weren't trivially easy to kill, like some liches and some runed stone giants. The ginormous devilsaur bug happened again during some runed stone giant ownage, and I got owned instead while trying to take screenshots — which, like baby pictures, you totally can't get enough of.

Giant devilsaur, now with flagged hordies.

Are you watching my health? 'Cause I'm not.

It finally occurred to us though that gear is totally going to devalue as we level because of the way hit rating, crit rating, and expertise convert on a per-level basis. That combined with the fact that there aren't any gear upgrades until like, say, level 77, is kind of depressing. We'll just continually enfeeble until we reach that sordid minimum. I gasped in dismay when I dinged 71 and saw that I had lost a precious point of expertise, and it pains me to think that my already pitiful crit chance will also be plummeting by the level. I actually broke down and replaced a bunch of my epic strength gems with blue-quality agility ones that were previously queued for Dijkstra's upgrades.

Anyway, let's not think about such dark, dark, dark things. NYMPHS. There are actual mobs called chill nymphs. You can free them from their unchilled forest that is a couple hundred yards away from the frigid habitat of the frost nymphs.

I'm totally sparing you the nymphomaniac jokes.

No comments: